A ‘peak-full’ ascent of mt Olympus – the “Mountain of the Gods”. Using 4×4 vehicles, we’ll drive to the Christakis mountain hut at 2500m. Leaving the vehicles there, we’ll take the Secret Path towards the Skolio and Zonaria ridges. Continuing our hike up, we will ascend Mytikas peak (2918m) via Louki and close the day on the Muses Plateau (2700m) where we will enjoy an overnight stay in one of the mountain huts. The next day, we will climb to Profitis Ilias (2788m) and Toumba (2801m) having completed a fast & beautiful Alpine 2-day tour of Mount Olympus.
- Summiting Mytikas 2918m
- Ascending 4 of Olympus’ highest peaks (Mytikas 2918m, Skolio 2912m, Profitis Ilias 2788m, Toumba 2801m)
- Overnight stay at Musses Plateau 2700m
- Watching the sunrise at 2700m
On this wonderful alpine route, we will cross Mount Olympus from West to East. Using 4×4 off-road vehicles, we will gain altitude to reach Megali Gourna and Christakis mt hut at 2500m. From there, following the Secret Path (E4), we will traverse the ridge of Skolio and continue on a downhill course to enter the famous Zonaria path, with its magical view – the high peaks on one side & the Aegean Sea on the other. Arriving at the base of the Louki of Mytikas, we will prepare ourselves for the ascent to the highest peak in Greece! After summiting, our day will end on the beautiful Muses Plateau at 2700m, where we will stay overnight in one of the two shelters.
On the 2nd day, after enjoying the sunrise and our breakfast – overlooking the Throne of Zeus (Dias) – we will hike a fairly good trail to reach Prophitis Elias at 2788m, where we can visit the highest church in the Balkans and then continue to Toumba 2801m. We will return from Zonaria on E4 and reach our 4th and last peak, Skolio at 2912m, thus completing the four high peaks of our tour!!!
For safety reasons, the summit attempt to Mytikas may take place on the 2nd day.
Also, for safety reasons the guide reserves the right to make the final decision on whether to summit, and make changes to other routes followed.
Guaranteed Fixed Departures 2022:
- July: 16-17 (fully booked)
- August: 13-14
- September: 10-11
- October: 8-9
Trekking Hellas offers an array of tours and activities in Mt. Olympus and all over Greece. Also take a look at our Orlias Gorge Canyoning and Hike Northern Greece! We are also available to customize any of our tours according to your preferences and needs! Feel free to contact us and we will create your dream holiday!
Hiking on a mountain trail. For the ascent to Mytikas, there is a scrambling field, where safety equipment is used.
Difficulty level of hike/day:
- Day 1: difficulty level 4
- Day 2: difficulty level 3
One guide for max 4-5 people
Period of Operation: July – mid October, upon availability
Price/person (Fixed Guaranteed Dates): 210€
Price/person (Private Tours):
- 210€/pp for 4-6 participants
- 240€/pp for min 3 participants
- 315€/pp for min 2 participants (for any other number of participants please contact us)
- Good physical condition
- Good mental & physical condition
- Ages: 18 – 65
- No acrophobia (afraid of heights)
- Trekking Hellas English speaking guide
- Accommodation in mountain hut at Musses plateau
- Safety Equipment for the ascend to Mytikas summit (helmet, harness, rope)
- Liability insurance
- Local transfer, with a 4×4 vehicle, from Kalivia to Christakis mountain hut and back
- Transfer to / from meeting point
- Meals, Snacks and beverages at the mountain hut
- Additional equipment (e.g. walking sticks)
- Anything not mentioned above
09:00 am: Meeting at Kalivia Village (central square) in Elassona and transfer via 4×4, following a dirt road, to Christakis mt hut (2,500m)
10:30 am: Our hike begins on the E4 European path. We follow the trail leading us under Skolio peak and continue until the junction with Zonaria, where we switch path, to arrive at the base of the Mytikas Louki.
11:30 am: There, we leave our backpacks, put on our protective gear, and ascend Mytikas with safety. Having summited, we head back the same way from Louki.
16:30 pm: Arrival in Musses plateau, where we stay overnight in one of the mountain huts. The view from the plateau is unique – mountains, horizon, sea and a beautiful sunset!
- Hiking time: 5-7 hrs
- Difficulty level: 4/5
- Distance: 7-8 km
07:30 am: Up for an early start, to enjoy the unique view of Stefani (Zeus’ Throne), while having some breakfast. Preparation for summit ascends!
08:30 am: We start our hike towards Prophitis Elias (2788m), where we can visit the highest church in the Balkans and then continue to nearby Toumba (2801m), before returning once again to the mountain hut.
10:30 am: We say our “farewells” to the beautiful plateau and following Zonaria trail and then E4, we aim to ascend Skolio peak 2912m. With clear weather, we’ll have a 360 view of the mountain! Continuing on E4 our descend will take us towards Megali Gourna and Christakis mt hut where the 4×4 are parked.
15:00 pm: Departure from Christakis mt hut to Kalyvia
16:30 pm: Arrival to Kalivia village – end of activity
- Hiking time: 5-7 hrs
- Difficulty level: 3/5
- Distance: 8-9 km
Meeting Point: Trekking Hellas Mt.Olympus office, to see exact meeting point click here
Please try to travel as light as possible; keep in mind that you must carry everything you bring during the whole hike.
- Comfortable 40-50 liters backpack, with padded straps and waist belt. Waterproof liner recommended keeping clothing, etc dry inside.
- Trekking shoes (preferably boots).
- Sleeping bag or similar (e.g. duvet cover), for the overnight in the shelter.
- Shorts & long trousers for the chilly night conditions. Preferably quick-drying material (cotton or poly-cotton not denim).
- Warm clothes, both for windy/ cold daytime conditions and for the cool evenings (fleece tops or similar).
- Thermal underwear or 2 long sleeve t-shirts.
- Good waterproof top with hood.
- Socks & underwear.
- Hat or beanie, sunglasses & sunblock.
- Washbag and simple first aid kit (plasters or blister kit, aspirin or similar, antiseptic).
- Torch (head torch if you have one).
- Walking sticks (can be provided upon prior request).
- Snacks (nuts / chocolate / energy bar)
- Your own personal water bottle – at least 1,5 lt. As part of our environmental policy and action plan, we are committed to eliminating the use of plastic water bottles.
July – mid October, upon availability
The climbing season runs between mid-June and late October. Sometimes, the climbing season can start even in mid-May, but this depends on the snow accumulation from winter months. The best time to climb Mount Olympus is beginning of July and beginning of September. Mid-July to late August is also a good period, however it may become too warm and the possibility of afternoon thunderstorms increases.
The weather conditions on Mount Olympus are generally unpredictable and temperatures can vary widely. Several factors influence local weather such as the impact of the sea and the rugged relief of the region. In lower areas, however (Litochoro and the foothills) the climate is typically Mediterranean, i.e. hot and dry in the summer, while humid and cold during the winter. On a higher altitude it is more humid and rougher, with more intense phenomena. The temperature varies in the winter from -10 °C to 10 °C and in the summer from 0 °C to 20 °C, while winds are an almost everyday occurrence. Generally, the temperature falls around 1 °C for every 200m of elevation. As the altitude increases, the phenomena become more intense, and the variations of temperature and humidity are often sudden. The coastal northeast slopes of Olympus receive more rain than the continental northwest, so, as a result, there is a clear difference in vegetation. In some places the winds accumulate snow, 8–10 meters thick, (‘anemosouria’ in Greek), while in some deep ravines snow remains all year round. However, during the climbing season (June to October) these snow patches do not affect hikers. Weather conditions on Mount Olympus may change several times during the day. During the summer, rainfalls are frequent and evening thunderstorms very common, many times accompanied by hail and strong winds.