Back to the roots is a 3 day exploration of the Ancient olive grove, olive picking, olive oil production – a unique experience in Aegina.
Olive trees are part of the Greeks’ identity, as legend has goddess Athena giving the Athenians their first olive tree. A symbol of peace, the olive wreath was the greatest distinction for an athlete. Homer considered olive oil “liquid gold”, while Hippocrates documented its medicinal attributes. Olive oil still remains the basis of the famous Mediterranean diet.
Come join us with your friends or family for an experience taking us back to our roots in a delicious weekend in Aegina, where we will pick olives at “Pyrgos Ralli Estate”, take part in all the stages of olive oil production, enjoy traditional delicacies with fresh olive oil in an authentic cultural and hiking experience, which will lead to the famous Ancient Olive Grove of the island.
Period of Operation: November – December (dates 2021 to be announced)
Price during fixed departure dates based on min 8 participants: 140€/pp (excluding ferry tickets from/to Athens)
Price/person private upon request:
- 280€ for min 8 participants
- 295€ for min 6 participants
- 310€ for min 4 participants
- 350€ for min 2 participants
- Basic Physical Condition
- Age from 8 years old
- Boat tickets Piraeus-Aegina-Piraeus
- 2 nights at Pyrgos Ralli Estate or nearby hotel with breakfast
- 2 light meals
- All activities as described
- All transfers on the island
- All necessary equipment for the olive picking
- Professional English-speaking Trekking Hellas guide
Embark the ferry to Aegina. Upon arrival transfer to the hotel. Welcome by our host and briefing for the weekend activities and tips on the island. Evening free to explore the town.
Following a healthy breakfast in the garden of Pyrgos Ralli Estate, we each take our special rake and begin the harvest of the olives! Once we separate the olives from the leaves, we will package and take them to one of the oldest olive oil presses of Aegina (over 100 years old!). Following a tour of the facilities, we will watch all stages of oil production. We set the table in the olive mill with delicacies prepared with – what else- fresh olive oil and wine! Return to the hotel to rest. Evening free.
After breakfast, we go to the beginning of the hiking trail to the enchanting Ancient Olive Grove of Aegina “Eleonas”, a place of rare and spectacular beauty (distance 5.9 km, about 3 hours). We will see olive trees that are over 400 years old that almost look like dancing sculptures! We will visit two traditional villages along the way and rest under the trees to enjoy a light lunch. We then return to the main port, afternoon free and departure for Piraeus.
- Waterproof jacket with hood
- Comfortable clothes and walking shoes
- Sunglasses, hat or cap, sun block.
- Your own personal water bottle. As part of our environmental policy and actions, we are committed to eliminating the use of plastic water bottles
- Cameras (optional)
- Walking stick (optional)