Bike & Boat Gulf of Corinth and Ionian Islands is an 8 day fascinating journey!
On this Bike & Boat Gulf of Corinth and Ionian Islands tour we explore both the Greek mainland as well as the impressive Ionian Islands. Along the way we get a first-hand experience of the scenic and cultural diversity in Greece as we travel by bike and on board the two-masted motor sailer, the Panagiota.
The Ionian Islands show Greek at its greenest, unspoiled scenery and centuries of Venetian influence characterize this yet little-known archipelago. The glistening blue waters of the Ionian Sea, mythical Ithaka, the bird-sanctuary island, Lefkas, and the small island of Paxos covered in olive groves all play part in a wonderfully relaxing vacation. Famous sites such as Delphi and Aegina are just some of the highlights of the tour. The passage through the Corinth Canal is sure to become an unforgettable memory.
- Corinth Canal Passage
- Temple of Aphaia in Aegina
- Delphi, the navel of the earth
- Swimming in the crystal clear waters of the Ionian Sea
- Colorful Venetian influence harbors
Trekking Hellas operates numerous biking and sailing trips in Greece. Of similar style is the bike & boat adventure in the Greek Islands or if you like hiking, you may be interested on our Sail & Hike tour in the Dodecanese Islands. Seeking for an off the beaten track mountain biking adventure in the Greek mountains ? our Zagori MTB tour is a unique experience.
Children up to age 16 receive a 25 % discount on the basic tour price
Period of Operation 2021: Fixed Departures
May, June, July:
- 01 – 08 May (Corfu to Athens)
- 08-15 May (Athens to Corfu) 29 May – 05 June (Corfu to Athens)
- 05-12 June (Athens to Corfu)
- 03-10 July & 10-17 July
August, September, October:
- 28 August – 4 September (Corfu to Athens)
- 4-11 September (Athens to Corfu)
- 25 September – 2 October (Corfu to Athens)
- 2-9 October (Athens to Corfu)
- Requirement to wear a helmet: Helmets are mandatory on our bike tours. It is advised to bring your own, well fitted, helmet with you as our rental helmet numbers are limited (reservation required).
- Bringing Children: We believe that only children with a good physical condition and previous bicycle tour experience and a minimum age of 10 are able to master the cycle tours with their own strength. Please note that the minimum height for a rental bike is 1.30 m (4.3 ft.) for hybrid bikes.
- 8-day trip on a motorized yacht with crew
- 7 nights in a twin cabin below deck with shower/toilet
- 2 x full-board and 5 x half-board on board
- Guided bike tours and sightseeing as described in the itinerary
- Overview-maps for the daily bike tours (on board)
- Entrance fee to museums and archaeological sites (group visit only)
- Transfer to Delphi
- Passage through the Corinth Canal
- Bed linen and towels
- English-speaking tour guide
- Journey to Greece
- Beverages on board (tally sheet; to be paid to the captain)
- Flat rate for bottled water: 20 euro for adults or 10 euro for children up to age 16 (to be paid to the captain)
- Meals and beverages ashore
- Entrance fee for sights not included in the tour price
- Beach towel for ashore use (if needed)
- Tips for tour guides and crew
Comfort Ship PANAGIOTA (all cabins with shower/toilet)
At 23 x 6 m the MS Panagiota is a traditional Greek caique, fully renovated in 2001. A cosy saloon with stained glass windows, comfortable seating areas throughout the ship, and sunning mats on both sun decks provide a truly relaxed and homely atmosphere. The 10 cabins, named after Greek islands, are stylishly furnished, air conditioned, and fitted with both shower and toilet.
Individual arrival at Marina Zeas (Piraeus). It is possible to check in on the Panagiota from 2 pm. Dinner on board and overnight stay in the harbour of Piraeus.
In the morning we sail to Aegina, an island famous for its pistachios even beyond Greek borders. Here our first cycle tour takes us to the exceptionally well-preserved temple of Aphaia, enthroned high above the azure sea. In the afternoon, we sail through the Isthmus of Corinth, completed in 1893, though plans for its construction date back to Julius Caesar. This 3.9 mi./6.3 km long, 79 ft./24 m wide, and 26 ft./8 m deep canal connects the Aegean Sea with the Gulf of Corinth and saves travelers sailing from Athens to Corinth the 258 mi./400 km long trip around the whole Peloponnese peninsular. If weather conditions are fine, we continue sailing to Galaxidi, otherwise overnight stay in or near Corinth.
In the morning, a transfer shuttle collects us from Galaxidi and takes us to the famous ancient site of Delphi, which rests at the foot of the Parnassus mountain range. It was here the ancient Greeks came to worship Apollo, the god of the light, and to consult the oracle. A visit to Delphi is a truly unforgettable experience not only due to the many temples, treasuries, the well-preserved theatre, and the stadium, but also thanks to the incredible hill-side location and views of the surrounding mountains. In the afternoon, the bus takes us to the harbour of Nafpaktos where we have time for lunch and a short stroll through the beautiful town before another short bus ride brings us to Mesolongi. The boat meets us here and we stay the night.
In the morning, we leave Mesolongi and cycle through the rich alluvial plains of the Evinos River – one of the most important agricultural regions in Greece. During the tour, we take a break at Krioneri Beach for a coffee and swim before returning to Mesolongi. In the afternoon we can relax on board the boat as we cruise to Vathy on Ithaca Island.
In the morning, we head out on a bike tour on the Ithaca Island. This hilly island with its spectacular scenery is said to have been home of the mythical king Odysseus. We start today’s tour in Vathy, and during the ride we get to enjoy the special character of the Ionian Islands off beaten tourist track: gnarled olive trees, crystal clear water and friendly islanders – time appears to stand still on Ithaca. From Frikes we cruise to Nidri on Lefkas and stay overnight in the little island port.
Today we cycle through beautiful olive groves to the hidden water falls of Nidri before continuing through the mountain world of Lefkas to the island’s capital of the same name. Here the Panagiota awaits us, taking us to Paxos Island in the afternoon. We spend the night in the lovely natural harbour of Gaios.
Paxos, the smallest of the seven Ionian Islands, is so densely covered in olive trees the whole island seems to glisten a wonderful silver green colour. Our morning tour leads us around the whole island. There is plenty of time to enjoy a swim in the sea at one of the many beaches. In the afternoon, the Panagiota takes us to Corfu. The last evening on board concludes with a communal dinner and last get-together in a cosy atmosphere with crew, fellow travelerspa, and tour guides.
After breakfast check-out and individual return home or extended stay on Corfu Island.
Participants require a high level of fitness for this tour. The daily routes vary in length 12 – 31 mi./20 – 50 km and lead through hilly to mountainous terrain. The tours can, however, be completed without any time constraints. Participants will also need to master long and steep climbs, during which it is of course bikes can be pushed. Most of the roads we cycle along are asphalted and with low traffic. You are free to set aside a half or full day to swim or spend time on board the boat, instead of taking a planned cycle-tour.
Group riding pace:
On our regular cycling tours, the cyclists on regular bicycles determine the pace. We ask guests who have reserved an e-bike to be mindful of this and to acknowledge that the regular cyclists need time to rest and take longer to climb the hills. We thank you for your understanding.
- Shared twin cabin
- Surcharge for a cabin on deck: 100 euro/person
- Surcharge for a double cabin for single use below deck: 400 euro (limited)
- Surcharge for a double cabin for single use above deck: 600 euro (limited)
- Rental bike with Ortlieb pannier: hybrid bicycle: 80 euro/week; e-bike: 180 euro/week (limited)
- Insurance against theft and damage of the rental bike: hybrid bicycle: 10 euro/week; e-bike: 20 euro/week (not insured: grossly negligent damages)
- Collective transfer (available on embarkation/disembarkation days only):
between Athens airport and the boat in Marina Zeas: 25 euro per person/way
between a hotel in Athens city and the boat in Marina Zeas: 15 euro per person/way
between boat and Corfu airport or boat and a hotel in Corfu city: 15 euro per person/way
- Exclusive transfers