Bridges and Villages Hike This wonderful circular hike is an ideal way of exploring the hidden gems of Central Zagori!
Situated in the Pindus mountain range, in the region of Epirus, Zagori is a mountainous region of stunning beauty! Covering about 1,000 square kilometers, it boasts 46 beautiful traditional villages known as Zagorochoria. Having stayed in isolation for centuries has allowed them to maintain their unique character! The area is also known for its two national parks, including the renowned Vikos Gorge.
Starting from the village of Vitsa, we visit the most iconic traditional villages of the area Vitsa, Koukouli, Kipi and Dilofo. Hiking the old trails of Zagori you will have the opportunity to explore, traditional villages and admire the traditional arched stone bridges. A symbol of this area, the stone bridges played a significant role in the daily life of Zagorians, as they were the only connection between the villages and its inhabitants before roads were built! The Zagori area is famous for its local stone craftsmanship and remarkable traditional architecture, visible in all of its villages, offering a true window in the past! This hike is perfect for active, thinking travelers who seek authentic experiences during their travels.
Highlights of Bridges and Villages Hike:
- Hike the crossroads of culture and history
- Discover the iconic stone bridges of Kontodimos, Misios, Kalogerikο, Kapetan Arkoudas
- Hike through the traditional villages of Vitsa, Koukouli, Kipi and Dilofo
Trekking Hellas offers an array of day or multi day tours in this beloved region. If you like to keep active, check out also our Mountain Bike Tour or Rafting Voidomatis! For travelers with special preferences or needs we also customize our tours! Feel free to contact us and we will create the perfect experience for you!
Period of operation: Throughout the year
Level of difficulty: Moderate
- 40€/pp for 6+ participants
- 45€/pp for 4-5 participants
- 50€/pp for 3 participants
- 60€/pp for min 2 participants (for less or more participants please contact us)
- Good physical condition
- Age from 12 years and above
- English speaking Trekking Hellas Guide
- Greek traditional picnic lunch
- Hiking poles
- Backpack / 4 participants
- Waterproof poncho jacket for the rainy days
Throughout the year
Meeting Point: Vitsa village at the restaurant Garifalo & Kanela. Click here for our meeting point on the map
Meeting Time: 09.00 am
- Small backpack with bottled water
- Comfortable clothes (preferably quick-drying material: cotton or polycotton not denim)
- Light hiking shoes or hiking boots
- Hat or beanie sunglasses sunblock
- Waterproof jacket / membrane (for the rainy days)
Our hike will start from Vitsa village, where we will downhill the famous cobblestone path known as ‘Vitsa Steps’. We will meet the iconic Misios stone bridge and continue hiking towards Koukouli, uphilling the old cobblestone path known as ‘Koukouli Steps’. Our next destination will be Kipi village, where we hike amongst the impressive bridge of Kondodimos inside the Vickaki gorge. In Kipi, we will also visit the famous triple arched bridge of Plakidas. Our hike will continue through the dense forest towards Dilofo village where we will visit ‘Kapetan Arkouda’s’ single arched bridge. On the way to the end of the route in Vitsa village, we will have impressive views to the Vikos Gorge, known as the world’s deepest canyon in proportion to its width!
09:00 Meeting in Vitsa with your guide and welcome briefing
09:15 Trek commencement
11:00 Arrival in Koukouli and a short break for rest
12:00 Arrival in Kipi
14:00 Arrival in Dilofo and short rest for traditional picnic snack
16:00 Arrival in Vitsa, end of the activity