An exciting and fun day of hike and exploration.
Pan’s cave is easily approachable by foot at an altitude of 620 meters, and is located at the south-west foothills of Mt. Parnitha, on the left slope of Goura ravine. It was discovered in the 19th century, and it appears to be a worship place for Pan and the Nymphs. From the fragments of hundreds of oil lamps found there it is also named ‘cave of the lamps’ (in greek: Lychnospilia).
- See a worshiping ground of the Ancient Greeks
- Combine hiking, caving and abseiling, all in one day
- Enjoy a healthy Mediterranean meal
Period of Operation: April to November
- 85€/pp for 5-6 participants
- 100€/pp for 2-4 participants
- 8 years and above
- Basic physical condition
- All necessary equipment for the operation of the activity
- English speaking Trekking Hellas Guide
- Greek Mediterranean meal
- Hotel Pick Up & Drop Off
April to November
Meeting Point: Your Hotel in Athens
Meeting Time: 09.30 am
- Small backpack with bottled water
- Comfortable clothes (preferably quick-drying material: cotton or polycotton not denim)
- Light hiking shoes or hiking boots
- Hat or beanie, sunglasses sunblock
- Waterproof jacket / membrane (for the rainy days)
Our guide will meet you at your hotel in Athens and drive you to the starting point.
We will start to hike until we reach the impressive Keladona gorge and walk by the river side and through the very tall and imposing fir trees, plane trees, chestnut trees etc. Here we make a break to enjoy a snack by the river side.
We continue, approaching the cave and prepare for a rappel (abseiling) activity, wearing all necessary equipment (helmets and safety harnesses) with the help of our guide. From the almost full of plane trees entrance of the cave, we go down the 10 m height rock.
The cave consists of two chambers. We have to crawl to pass in the second chamber that has a wonderful basin decorated by stalactite material.
After visiting the cave we will hike back to the car parking and return to Athens center.
09:30: departure from your hotel/other accommodation in Athens
10:30: arrival at the entrance of the gorge
10:30 – 11:30: hike until we reach the cave
11:30 – 14:00: cave visit and crawling to the second hall. Picnic and visit the waterfalls near the cave
14:00 – 15:00: hike back to the car
15.00-16:00: Departure and arrival to your accommodation