Caving Mt. Parnitha! An exciting and fun day full of hiking and caving!
Pan’s Cave is located in the south-west foothills of Mt. Parnitha. On the left slope of the Goura ravine, at an altitude of 620 meters. It is easily accessible on foot. The cave was discovered in the 19th century and it appears to have been a place of worship for God Pan and the Nymphs. From the fragments of hundreds of oil lamps found in the cave, it is also named ‘Cave of the Lamps’ (in greek: Lychnospilia).
Our activity is operated by highest standards and our professional guide will ensure the safety of all participants. Join us on our adventure tours in Mt. Parnitha! Mountain adventures close to Athens. Other available adventures include biking, hiking or canyoning and many more… Trekking Hellas is available for tailor made tours all over Greece. Whether in Athens or other parts of Greece, our expert team can create day or multi day tours to accommodate your wishes and needs. Feel free to contact us for more information!
- See a worshiping ground of the Ancient Greeks
- Combine hiking, caving and abseiling, all in one day
- Enjoy a healthy Mediterranean meal
Period of Operation: April to November
- 85€/pp for 5-6 participants
- 100€/pp for 2-4 participants
- 8 years and above
- Basic physical condition
- All necessary equipment for the operation of the activity
- English speaking Trekking Hellas Guide
- Greek Mediterranean meal
- Hotel Pick Up & Drop Off
April to November
Meeting Point: Your Hotel in Athens
Meeting Time: 09.30 am
- Small backpack with bottled water
- Comfortable clothes (preferably quick-drying material: cotton or polycotton not denim)
- Light hiking shoes or hiking boots
- Hat or beanie, sunglasses sunblock
- Waterproof jacket/membrane (for the rainy days)
- Your own personal water bottle. As part of our environmental policy and actions, we are committed to eliminating the use of plastic water bottles.
Our guide will meet you at your hotel in Athens and drive you to the starting point.
We will start to hike until we reach the impressive Keladona gorge and walk by the riverside and through the very tall and imposing fir trees, plane trees, chestnut trees, etc. Here we make a break to enjoy a snack by the riverside.
We continue, approaching the cave and prepare for a rappel (abseiling) activity, wearing all necessary equipment (helmets and safety harnesses) with the help of our guide. From the almost full of plane trees entrance of the cave, we go down the 10 m height rock.
The cave consists of two chambers. We have to crawl to pass in the second chamber that has a wonderful basin decorated by stalactite material.
After visiting the cave we will hike back to the car parking and return to Athens center.
09:30: departure from your hotel/other accommodation in Athens
10:30: arrival at the entrance of the gorge
10:30 – 11:30: hike until we reach the cave
11:30 – 14:00: cave visit and crawling to the second hall. Picnic and visit the waterfalls near the cave
14:00 – 15:00: hike back to the car
15.00-16:00: Departure and arrival to your accommodation