Hike the summit of Mt. Chelmos! A hike to the imposing summit of Mt. Chelmos at 2.355 meters.
Mt. Chelmos rises between the stunning gorges of the Vouraikos and legendary River Krathis. It is the third highest mountain of the Peloponnese, after Taygetus and Kyllini, and the highest in Achaea. Mt. Chelmos is part of the arc connecting the Arcadian mountains to the Mt. Ziria and Mt. Erymanthos massifs.
This mountain is a relatively small massif but features a very varied and rugged terrain. Among its highest peaks lies the mythical Styx Waterfall. The unique microclimate of the Styx Valley presents the highest ecological value due to the presence of many rare species of flora.
We will pick you up from your hotel and set off on our Hike the summit of Mt. Chelmos. Our hike starts on an altitude of 1.600 meters, right before the local Ski Center. We follow the trail that leads us into the lush fir forests of the area. Mt. Chelmos is part of the Chelmos-Vouraikos National Park and as such boasts wide natural diversity and great ecological value. The forest trail leads us to the alpine zone of the mountain. As we approach the summit, we will pass by the famous Achaean peak of Neraiodraxi. At an elevation of 2.238 meters it is the location of the Chelmos Observatory with its “Aristarchus” telescope. Aristarchus is one of the most technologically advanced telescopes of the continent. It was built here as the area has one of the lowest levels of light pollution in Europe!
Reaching the summit of Mt. Chelmos, we will have the opportunity to take in the breathtaking views! Imposing Mt. Erymanthos on the West and mountains Durduvana and Kyllini along with all the peaks of Mt. Chelmos offer unique magical views! Heading down from the summit we will enjoy a nice break and delicious picnic!
This hike requires a good physical condition and is perfect for all mountain lovers!
You can combine your Hike the summit of Mt. Chelmos with a stay in Kalavryta at the beautiful Orias Guesthouse and Farm. Unique hospitality in spacious rooms overlooking Mt Chelmos and delicious meals with homegrown ingredients straight from the farm.
Trekking Hellas offers a variety of activities in Kalavryta and the Peloponnese, like the Vouraikos Cog Railway Hike or the Off Road Tour in Mt Chelmos. In close proximity to Kalavryta in the region of Arcadia you can enjoy Rafting and Hiking in Lousios Gorge. Our tours can be incorporated in our multi day adventures likes our Active and Culture Tour in the Peloponnese.
Period of Operation: April to December
- 70€/person for 5-6 participants
- 85€/person for min 4 participants
- 90€/person for min 3 participants
- 120€/person for min 2 participants (for less or more participants please contact us)
- Basic physical condition
- Age 12 -65 years old
- English speaking Trekking Hellas Guide
- First aid kits and other necessary equipment
- Local Transportation
- Hotel Pick up & Drop-Off
- Walking Sticks
- Anything not mentioned above
- April to December and always subject to weather conditions
- Small backpack
- Comfortable clothes (preferably quick-drying material: cotton or polycotton not denim)
- Obligatory light hiking shoes or hiking boots
- Hat or beanie, sunglasses, sunblock
- Waterproof jacket/membrane (for the rainy days)
- Your own personal water bottle. As part of our environmental policy and actions, we are committed to eliminating the use of plastic water bottles.
- Meeting Point: Your hotel in Kalavryta
- Meeting Time: 08.30 am
- Total distance: 7 km
- 650 m ascent
- 08.30 am pick up from your hotel
- 09.30 am – 14.30 am hike
- 14.30 am – 15.30 am picnic and return transfer