Hiking Vouraikos Gorge is a guided day activity in the spectacular gorge.
In northern Peloponnese, between Mount Chelmos and the eastern extensions of Mount Panachaiko lies one of Greece’s best kept secrets. The Vouraikos Gorge! An impressive 20-kilometer-long gorge formed after millions of years by the River Vouraikos. It is part of the Chelmos-Vouraikos National Park thanks to its lush vegetation and incredible natural diversity! Waterfalls, beautiful caves, swift crystal-clear streams, cool springs and impressive rocky cliffs, make this route an unforgettable experience! The trail we follow cuts through the protected area and is part of the long distance E4 European Trail.
During our 5-hour hike, we walk along the tracks of the most impressive attraction of this area: the “Odondotos” Rack Railway. Built in 1896 in order to connect the towns of Diakopto and Kalavryta, it has become an indispensable part of the area! It is often described as the most “spectacular rail route” of the Balkan area. Starting our hike from the town of Kalavryta we will have the opportunity to enjoy the breathtaking scenery and walk through this wonderful nature reserve until we reach Niamata. From here we will hop on the famous Odondotos Rack Railway and ride back to Kalavryta taking in the stunning views along the route! This is a relatively easy hike, suitable for hikers from 10 to 70 years old! Get ready for an unforgettable experience hiking Vouraikos Gorge!
Trekking Hellas offers a variety of activities in Kalavryta and the Peloponnese, like the Vouraikos Cog Railway Hike or the Off Road Tour in Mt Chelmos. In close proximity to Kalavryta in the region of Arcadia you can enjoy Rafting and Hiking in Lousios Gorge. Our tours can be incorporated in our multi day adventures likes our Active and Culture Tour in the Peloponnese.
Period of Operation: Throughout the year
- 70€/person for 5-6 participants
- 80€/person for min 4 participants
- 95€/person for min 3 participants
- 120€/person for min 2 participants(for less or more participants please contact us)
- Basic physical condition
- Age 10 -70 years old
- English speaking Trekking Hellas Guide
- First aid kits and other necessary equipment
- Local Transportation
- Rack rail tickets
- Walking Sticks
- Transportation to meeting point
- Anything not mentioned above
- Throughout the year
Meeting point: Kalavryta Train Station. Click here to see the meeting point on google maps.
Time: 08.30 am
- Small backpack
- Comfortable clothes (preferably quick-drying material: cotton or polycotton not denim)
- Obligatory light hiking shoes or hiking boots
- Hat or beanie, sunglasses, sunblock
- Waterproof jacket/membrane (for the rainy days)
- Your own personal water bottle. As part of our environmental policy and actions, we are committed to eliminating the use of plastic water bottles.
- Rocky terrain
- Total distance: 10 km