Kalavryta Culinary Delights
On our Kalavryta Culinary Delights tour, we will explore one of the most productive wine regions in Greece!
The Peloponnese, also called “Polystafyllos” (the area that bears a lot of grapes) in ancient documents, is dominated by lofty mountains and extremely fertile lands. Located in the south and bordered by sea on all sides this mountainous landscape enjoys a mild Mediterranean climate on its coasts, becoming more continental further inland. A wide range of meso-climates and temperatures, however, gives each vineyard a distinct character. Vine cultivation in the Peloponnese is fascinating and dates back to antiquity with local varieties gaining world reputation.
Our Kalavryta Culinary Delights tour starts from the traditional village of Kalavryta. Here we will hop on the fascinating Rack Train of Kalavryta, named “Odontotos”. A beautiful train ride through the stunning natural environment of the Vouraikos Gorge will take us to the small town of Diakopto.
From Diakopto we will set off to the vineyards of the Aegialia and Mt Chelmos area. One of the four Protected Designation of Origin Zones of the Peloponnese producing dry and sweet wines.The PDO wines of Achaia are made exclusively from the variety Roditis with some of the best vineyards situated at 800-1.000 m above sea level on the slope of Mt. Chelmos. The area’s sweet wines made from the famous Mavrodafni grape also enjoy a well-justified reputation. Old and new varieties, like the Balck Kalavrytian grape offer a diverse mosaic of wines.
Our tour will take us to a selection of traditional local wineries where we will have the opportunity to taste and enjoy local wines! We will learn all there is about local grapes varieties, traditional wine making, and local wines! Our tour will conclude with a fine meal cooked with love and homegrown local products!
This tour is ideal for foodies and wine enthusiasts! We create unique programs for active travelers who seek authentic experiences on their travels.
You can combine your Kalavryta Culinary Delights tour with a stay in Kalavryta at the beautiful Orias Guesthouse and Farm. Unique hospitality in spacious rooms overlooking Mt Chelmos and delicious meals with homegrown ingredients straight from the farm.
Trekking Hellas offers a variety of activities in Kalavryta and the Peloponnese, like the Vouraikos Cog Railway Hike or the Off Road Tour in Mt Chelmos. In close proximity to Kalavryta in the region of Arcadia you can enjoy Rafting and Hiking in Lousios Gorge. Our tours can be incorporated in our multi day adventures likes our Active and Culture Tour in the Peloponnese.
Period of Operation: Throughout the year
- 65€/person for min 6 participants
- 75€/person for min 5 participants
- 90€/person for min 4 participants
- 110€/person for min 3 participants
- 150€/person for min 2 participants (for less or more participants please contact us)
- Basic physical condition
- English speaking Trekking Hellas Guide
- All necessary transportation from/to Kalavryta
- Snack with Greek local products
- Visit and wine tasting of 2 wineries
- Vouraikos Rack Train Tickets
Throughout the year
Meeting point: Your hotel in Kalavryta
Time: 09.00 am
- Small backpack
- Comfortable clothes (preferably quick-drying material: cotton or polycotton not denim)
- Light hiking shoes
- Hat or beanie, sunglasses, sunblock
- Waterproof jacket/membrane (for the rainy days)
- Your own personal water bottle. As part of our environmental policy and actions, we are committed to eliminating the use of plastic water bottles.