Mountainous Thessaly Highlights! Remnants of another era, hidden between imposing slopes and vast forests.
At a glimpse:
- An all-round tour in nature and tradition
- Swim under stunning waterfalls
- get to know the area’s history and myths from the locals
Our Mountainous Thessaly Highlights tour starts with a pick up at your hotel in Trikala or Kalampaka. Our first stop is a visit to the impressive arched bridge of Pyli, situated in the Portaikos River Gorge. A remarkable architectural construction built during the Byzantine era. Several trails are available in this area for beautiful walks, offering plenty of opportunity to enjoy the tranquility and beautiful nature of the gorge.
Continuing on our way we drive up the river bed until we reach the Waterfalls of Palaiokarya. The majestic waterfalls located in a stunning natural setting offer the opportunity for a refreshing dive in its cool waters. After our refreshing swim we continue up the imposing mountain of Koziakas. We will not miss the chance to visit one of the area’s most beautiful villages, Elati. Named after the Greek word for “pine tree”, the village is located in the midst of a lush pine forest. Tucked away under the shadow of Mount Koziakas’ summit, the picturesque village offers several paths to hike, unique traditional architecture and of course delicious local delicacies. Here will enjoy an one hour’s stop to stroll around and savor some traditional lunch (extra cost).
Following our visit in the area of Elati, we will explore the heart of the forest. It is a fairy tale forest that many refer to it as the “Switzerland of Greece”. The meadows of Pertouli at an altitude of 1.000 meters are a truly magnificent place! We will walk around the alpine meadows or even book a horseback ride around the forest (extra cost). After Pertouli we will head towards the northern side of Mount Koziakas and conclude our tour with drop-off at your hotel.
Trekking Hellas offer numerous other exciting activities for all types of travelers. Try our Meteora Experience tour if you are interested in culture. Adrenaline seekers try our Rock Climbing or Meteora Scramble tour. Families are welcome to combine our hiking tour with a spider man style rappel from the rocky pinnacles of Meteora.
Period of Operation: All year round
- 40€/pp for 7-8 participants
- 45€/pp for 3-6 participants
- 50€/pp for min 2 participants (for less or more participants please contact us)
- Basic physical condition
- Swimming Knowledge
- Lack of acrophobia
- English speaking Trekking Hellas Guide/Driver
- Transportation with 9 seater 2020 Van
- Hotel Pick Up & Drop Off from Kastraki, Kalambaka, Trikala
- Photo material
- Liability insurance
- VAT and all legal taxes
- Meals, food or drinks
- Any extra optional activities
- Gratuities (optional)
09.00-09.15: Pick up from your hotel in Trikala or Kalampaka
10.00-11.00: Pyli’s bridge visit
11.00-12.00: Palaiokaria waterfalls
12.30-14.00: Elati Village
14.30-15.00: Pertouli Meadows
16.00 Drop off at your hotel
- Comfortable clothes and shoes according to weather conditions
- Sun protection
- Your own personal water bottle. As part of our environmental policy and actions, we are committed to eliminating the use of plastic water bottles
- Swimsuit and Towel (optional for waterfall swim)
- Throughout the year
- Pick up at your hotel in Trikala or Kalampaka
- 09.00-09.15 am depending on your location