Panoramic Aegina! A day hiking tour, available as self guided or guided.
We explore the highest peak of the Saronic islands, Mount Hellanion and the famous Dragon houses.
Situated atop Mount Hellanion at 532m m. was the altar of Hellanios Zeus. It was located where the Chapel of Analipsis (Ascension) is found today. Hellanios Zeus, meaning Zeus of the Greeks, was the god of weather and was often worshiped on mountain tops. Pausanias, the ancient historian, refers to the mountain as “Panhellenic”, underlining the importance of the mountain to all Greeks.
The area is listed as an archaeological site and as an area of outstanding natural beauty. Remains related to the ancient temple can be seen, as well as the church of the Archangels (Taxiarches), which dates back to the 12th century AD.
The two “Dragon houses” of Aegina, are part of a network of more than 30 such structures dating back to ancient times, found mostly in the island of Euboea. However there are also some in the area of Attica and the Saronic Gulf.
They are all mentioned in folk tales as houses of dragons. In Greek folklore, the dragons are either be a reptilian monster or any other being with superhuman powers. The common feature of the Dragonhouses is the conical layout of the walls from inside, that evenly spread the load of the roof slabs. Their original use remains a mystery. They were possibly used as sanctuaries to Zeus, Hera or Hercules. They continued to be used throughout the medieval times as shepherd houses.
Highlights of the Panoramic Aegina hike
- Hike to Mount Hellanion and the ancient sanctuary of Zeus, the tallest mountain in the Saronic Gulf.
- Visit the famous ancient Dragon houses.
- Visit the mountain village of Sfentouri with its breath-taking views.
- Swim in the picturesque fishing village of Souvala and enjoy a greek meze by the water (optional).
Period of Operation: Throughout the year
Distance: 5.6 km or 8.5km to Perdika village
Terrain: Dirt / rocky path. Clear path but scarcely marked. Short section of unclear, unmarked path. Uneven terrain with loose stones
- 30€/pp for 4 participants (for more participants please contact us)
- 35€/pp for min 2-3 participants
- 45€/pp for min 1 participant
Self Guided Pack :
- Greeting by an English-speaking host, on-call for any emergencies
- Transfer to starting point
- Pick-up at ending point
- Booklet containing detailed itinerary
- GPX file
- Greek traditional snack
Meeting Point: Heroes Monument Square (right across from the taxi stand of the main port)
Time: Upon confirmation
- During summer, don’t forget water, sunglasses and hat
- Bring swimwear if you wish to swim!
- Wear comfortable shoes
Throughout the year