Zagori Highlights! Experience with us an unforgettable tour in a mountain paradise. The Zagori area.
This tour is designed for hiking enthusiasts and takes you to two of the most impressive places of the Vikos Aoos National Park.
On the Zagori Highlights tour, will cross the legendary Vikos Gorge, the deepest canyon worldwide in proportion to its width. Definitely a spectacular sight! It is accessible from several points, including the gravity-defying cliff-face monastery of Agia Paraskevi at its southern end and the ridge-top village of Vikos at the other. The landscape of the 20 km long gorge is extremely diverse and is characterized by abrupt changes in altitude. The Vikos Gorge has been carved over millions of years by the Voidomatis River, a tributary of the Aoös River. As it splits the mountain in half, its slopes expose rock formations of limestone and dolomite, dating back to 150 million years . Its vertical cliffs rise up to a height of 1700 meters.
Our second spectacular hike from the mountain hut “Astraka” at 1.950 m. we will head to a fascinating alpine lake. Enveloped in myth and local tales about strange creatures, this blue gem decorates the alpine meadows just below the peak of Mt. Tymphi (2.497 m). The stunning alpine lake called by locals dragon lake (drakolimni in Greek), is believed to be a remnant of the Ice Age. According to Greek mythology however, it was home to two dragons who were caught in an endless fight against each other. Legend says that the rocks they threw against each other are the ones scattered around the lake to this day.
Explore lush nature, awe-inspiring mountains and pristine rivers.
- Discover beautiful architecture in the picturesque traditional villages.
- Enjoy fun, adrenaline pumping activities and relaxed, stress-free ones.
The tour starts and ends in the city of Ioannina where you can fly to.
- Trekking Hellas offers an array of day or multi day tours in this beloved region. If you like to keep active, check out also our Active & Culture Tour Zagori or Rafting Voidomatis! For travelers with special preferences or needs we also customize our tours! Feel free to contact us and we will create the perfect experience for you!
Period of Operation: May to October
Self Guided Mode:
- 360€/pp for 4-6 participants
- 455€/pp for 2-3 participants
Fully Guided Mode:
- 435€/pp for 4-6 participants
- 625€/pp for 2-3 participants
- 3 days / 2 nights accommodation with breakfast sharing a double room in local guesthouses
- Transfers from/to the city of Ioannina and all necessary local transfers for the hikes
- Meals full board starting from dinner on day 1 until lunch on day 3
- In the self-guided option, we provide a briefing, GPS routes, maps, and emergency support helpline
- In the guided option a professional English speaking guide
- Personal Expenses
- Anything not mentioned in the above program
- Personal Insurance
You arrive to Ioannina airport, welcomed by our guides and transferred to Monodendri village (1-hour drive). Settle to your hotel and dinner.
(Optional and depending on your arrival time you may visit the Monastery of Saint Paraskevi, an abandoned monastery situated on the edge of Vikos Gorge. The monastery founded at 1413-1414, consists of a small stone-built chapel, the oldest preserved in Zagori, and offers panoramic views to the gorge.
Overnight in Monodendri.
Enjoy a fascinating hike in one of the most beautiful gorges of Europe.
Vikos Gorge, with a length of 20 km, walls that range from 450m to 1,600 m deep, and a width from 400 m to some meters at its narrowest part, is listed by the Guinness Book of Records as the deepest canyon in the world in proportion to its width. This follows a somewhat arbitrary definition of a gorge that excludes deeper features such as Colca Canyon because of their greater width to depth ratio.
The landscape of the 20 km long gorge, 12 km οf which belonging to the Vikos – Aoos National Park’s core zοne, presents a diverse relief and is characterized by abrupt altitudinal changes. Steep slopes and precipitous rocky cliffs dominate in the middle and higher zones respectively. The gorge has been carved over millions of years by Voidomatis River, a tributary of the Aoos.
We start the hike at the village of Monodendri and after 45 minutes we enter the gorge. We will need approximately 4 hours until we reach the springs of Voidomatis and another hour until we reach the village of Vikos.
Approximate Hiking Duration: 6-7 hrs
Overnight in Mikro Papingo.
Today’s hike starts with 3 hours uphill from Mikro Papingo to the “Astraka” refuge on Mt. Gamila, at 1950m. Here we picnic and leave our packs for the afternoon walk to the first of the Dragon Lakes, an hour away across grassy uplands studded with flowers and (until July) some small snow pack. This is a long hiking day and we eventually return back to Mikro Papingo for our transfer back to Ioannina or to another destination.
Approximate Hiking Duration: 8-9 hrs