Hiking Tour Profitis Ilias Mt is a guided day tour on the island’s third highest mountain. And to get to the top we take you through a beautiful dense pine forest. In fact, most visitors are not aware of this other, greener side to the island and our Hiking Tour helps you to really get up close.
Our tour Hiking Tour Profitis Ilias Mt begins in Salakos, a quaint agricultural village, located on the foothills of the mountain but also fairly close to the sea. The trail climbs upwards gradually and because the paths are well maintained it is suitable for all levels including children. Most of the hike is under the shade of ilex trees, pine trees and some olive trees. This makes it a comfortable temperature to enjoy both the challenge and the surroundings. As we climb, we enjoy magnificent views of the Aegean Sea, the coastline of Turkey and some of the nearby islands. Even more experienced hikers will enjoy this unique hiking tour combining stunning views, exercise, fresh air and of course history.
Once we arrive at the top, you get to enjoy the calm of a quiet picnic area and of course the pine forest before approaching the two famous hotels here called “Elafos” and “Elafina” (male and female deer in Greek).These buildings were built by the Italians in 1929 and 1932 during the Italian occupation. You will no doubt be surprised by their Alpine Style. Again, something unique for a Greek Island. Indeed the Italians wanted to make Rhodes a luxury holiday destination and quickly created most of the island’s tourist attractions that we know and love today. We will also visit the “Villa de Vecci”, house of the former Italian Governor of Rhodes at the time and, of course, the Byzantine church of Profitis Elias. After a short break and a snack, we start the descent back to Salakos. Hiking Tour Profitis Ilias Mt may be one of our easier hiking tours but its scenery and its rich history make it well worth a visit. And what better way than on foot away from the crowds!
Highlights of Hiking Tour Profitis Ilias Mt:
- Conquer the third highest mountain on the island
- Hike through a dense pine forest
- Visit the two legendary hotels; built by the Italians almost a century ago.
- Distance: 5,52 Km/3,42 Miles
- Altitude Difference: 395 M/1295 Ft
- Duration: Actual Hiking Time: 2,5 Hrs / Total Activity Duration: 3,5 Hrs
- Terrain: Soft-easy trail, dirt path
Period of Operation: Every Wednesday from April – 15 June & 1st September – End of October
Price: 58€ per person for minimum 2 participants
Participants Age: Min 8 – Max 75
- Professional English speaking Trekking Hellas Guides (1 for 10 participants)
- Potable Water Supply
- Traditional snack
- First aid kits and other necessary equipment
Optional Hotel Pick Up / Drop Off:
- 10€ per person for a pick up from these areas: Kremasti, Paradeisi, Ialysos, Ixia, Rhodes Town, Kallithea, Faliraki, Afandou and any location in between the above mentioned areas. Please add transfer option when booking online.
Every Wednesday from from April – 15 June & 1st September – End of November
Meeting point: Salakos Village, from North to South after Nymph Hotel to the left, 100 m. Click here for our meeting point on the map.
Meeting time: 08.30 am
- hiking shoes (boots are not necessary)
- long hiking pants
- second T-shirt
- windproof jacket
- Your own personal water bottle. As part of our environmental policy and actions, we are committed to eliminating the use of plastic water bottles.
08.30 Meeting in Salakos village
08.30 – 10.00 Hiking from Salakos
10.00 – 10.15 Short stop to admire the views and enjoy a traditional snack
10.15 – 10.45 Visiting Italian buildings
10.45 – 11.45 Hiking back to Salakos