Amazing Sunset Hike Profitis Ilias is what can only be described as a breathtaking experience. Nothing beats its beautiful views, culminating in a stunning sunset at the end of the day. A unique opportunity to enjoy hiking in the evening under the shade of the many trees that line our path. One of our best-selling hiking tours that combines something for everyone. Adventure, nature, History, views rarely seen by your average tourist and of course – hiking!
Amazing Sunset Hike Profitis Ilias takes you up the third highest mountain on Rhodes, Profitis Ilias and can be enjoyed by all – even if you are new to hiking.
- Enjoy a hike even in the heart of the summer by hiking in the afternoon
- Admire the sunset from one of the highest points of the island
- Explore Rhodes’ nature and history on foot – in the most eco-friendly manner
On our Amazing Sunset Hike Profitis Ilias, we meet in the quaint village of Salakos, located on the foothills of the mountain Profitis Ilias. The path up the mountain is fairly gentle, for this reason it is also suitable for children. We walk among ilex, pine and olive trees and admire views of the Aegean Sea, the coastline of Turkey and some of the nearby islands. Once at the top we learn about the history of this unusual Greek tourist attraction. We visit some former Italian buildings built by the Italian Colonists in 1929 and 1932. All were built in an Alpine style which is a novel sighting on a little Greek island. We visit the two hotels of the time “Elafos” and “Elafina” and the “Villa de Vecci”, house of the former Italian Governor of Rhodes. No visit would be complete without a visit to the Byzantine church of Profitis Elias from which the mountain gets its name.
After a short snack, we head back to Salakos, stopping on the way for the highlight of our hiking tour – the sunset! The colours of the sea, the trees and the sun calmly setting on the horizon all add to our once in a lifetime experience. How many people can say they have hiked at sunset on a Greek island? Indeed, the uniqueness of our hiking tour – Hiking at Sunset means that even experienced hikers will leave fully satisfied at the end of the day. And to end our hiking tour? Headtorches to light our way – the ultimate in adventure!!
Trekking Hellas offers a variety of other activities in Rhodes and the Dodecanese Islands, like Mt. Akramitis hike, and sea kayaking visiting the masterpiece of the Lindian Temple of Athena in Lindos.
- Distance: 5,52 Km/3,42 Miles
- Altitude Difference: 395 M/1295 Ft
- Duration: Actual Hiking Time: 2,5 Hrs / Total Activity Duration: 5 Hrs
- Terrain: Soft-easy trail, dirt path
Period of Operation: Every Wednesday & Saturday from 16 June – 31 August
Price: 40€/pp for a min of 2 participants
Participants Age: Min 8 – Max 75
- Professional English speaking Trekking Hellas Guides (1 for every 10 participants)
- First aid kits and other necessary equipment
- Drinking Water Supply
- Traditional snack of Rhodes
Optional Hotel Pick Up / Drop Off:
- 10€ per person for a pick up from these areas: Kremasti, Paradeisi, Ialysos, Ixia, Rhodes Town, Kallithea, Faliraki, Afantou, Haraki, Lindos and any location in between the above mentioned areas. Please add transfer option when booking online.
- 15€ per person for a pick up from the areas: Pefkos, Kiotari, Gennadi. In order to book transfers from these areas, please contact us.
Every Wednesday from 16 June till 31 August
Meeting point: Salakos Village, from North to South after Nymph Hotel to the left, 100 m. Click here for our meeting point on the map.
Meeting time: around 16.30 pm
- hiking shoes (boots are not necessary)
- long hiking trousers
- spare T-shirt
- windproof jacket
- sun block
- Additional bottle of water