Come join us on our one-of-a-kind tour of Rhodes – Tasting Rhodes! On this tour we discover the culture and customs of Rhodes through its gastronomical and culinary traditions. Tasting Rhodes helps you dive deep into the culture and customs of the island where Food and Drink are concerned. Let your taste buds be amazed on this introduction to all things Greek! An unforgettable experience where you get to try the wine and cuisine of Rhodes. You even get in on the action with a cookery class taught by our one and only Kiria Seva and also at the local women’s cooperative at the start of our day. We also visit a local winery and do some wine tasting. Then we enjoy our culinary creations over a delicious traditional Greek lunch. To end the day we visit a local folklore museum.
Our Food and Drink tour – Tasting Rhodes takes place in the unspoilt and undeveloped mountainous village of Apollona. .
Highlights of Taste of Rhodes:
- Visit a traditional village on the foothills of Mt Profitis Ilias, in the central part of Rhodes Island
- Visit a women’s agricultural cooperative and a folklore museum
- Enjoy some wine tasting in a small local winery
- Learn how to cook Greek recipes and Rhodian specialities first-hand with a mama-cook!
Period of Operation: April to October, every Monday & Thursday
- Professional English-speaking Trekking Hellas Guides (1 for every 10 participants)
- Visits: Agricultural co-op, Winery, Folklore Museum
- Cooking lesson
Optional Hotel Pick Up / Drop Off:
- 10€ per person for a pick up from these areas: Kremasti, Paradeisi, Ialysos, Ixia, Rhodes Town, Kallithea, Faliraki, Afantou, Haraki, Lindos and any location in between the above mentioned areas. Please add transfer option when booking online.
- 15€ per person for a pick up from the areas: Pefkos, Kiotari, Gennadi. In order to book transfers from these areas, please contact us.
Meeting point: Apollona village, outside the ‘Apolloniatisses’ Co-Operative. Click here for our meeting point on the map.
Meeting time: 10.00 am
- Comfortable shoes
- Hat and sun block
- Your own personal water bottle. As part of our environmental policy and actions, we are committed to eliminating the use of plastic water bottles.
The tour starts from unspoiled mountainous village of Apollona nestled in the foothills of Profitis Ilias.
Stop for a quick tour of an agricultural co-op and learn how these proud, resourceful women run the enterprise. They will share their decisions, goals and a demonstration of local delicacy production with you.
From there, on foot, you will visit the folklore museum and discover what life was like for locals in the centuries past. Admire the traditional costumes, architecture and more as you learn how the people lived and worked as well as the industries of the time such as the inner workings of an olive factory.
You will also visit a winery and learn about the various grape varietals. While here, bring a glass of delicious wine to your lips and understand firsthand why Rhodes produces some of the world’s most award-winning wines.
The highlight of the tour will be a personal cooking class from a mama cook in the village who will share her secrets in making traditional, famous Greek fare including tzatziki, pitaroudia (vegetable fried balls) and ever-popular Greek salad. Learn how to make gemista (stuffed peppers with tomatoes and rice), dolmadakia and many more delights!
Conclude your time in Apollona enjoying the fruits of your culinary labors by sitting down to a homemade lunch that you and your fellow cooks have lovingly prepared.
10.00 Meet in Apollona Village
10.00 – 10.20 Visit Agricultural co-op
10.20 – 10.30 Walk to winery
10.30 – 10.50 Wine Tasting
10.50 – 11.00 Walk to Cooking Lesson Location
11.00 – 12.00 Cooking Lesson
12.00 – 12.40 Lunch
12.40 – 13.00 Visit Folklore Museum