A Taste of Rhodes! On this tour we uncover the culture and customs of Rhodes through its gastronomy and culinary tradition. A fulfilling experience that will amaze your taste buds! This tour is an introduction into the culinary culture of Rhodes.
A Taste of Rhodes starts from the unspoiled mountainous village of Apollona for a quick tour in an agricultural co-op which is run by a team of proud, resourceful women. We will visit the folklore museum and discover what life was like for locals in past centuries. We will take a look at a local winery and learn all about the various grape varietals. The highlight of the tour will be a personal cooking class from a mama cook who will share her secrets in making traditional, famous Greek fare. Our tour finishes with a delicious meal. We will enjoy the fruits of our culinary labors by sitting down and having our homemade lunch .
Highlights of Taste of Rhodes:
- Visit a traditional village on the foothills of Mt Profitis Ilias, in central Rhodes Island
- Visit a women’s agricultural co-op and a folklore museum
- Enjoy a wine tasting in a small local winery
- Learn how to cook Rhodian / Greek recipes by a mama-cook!
Period of Operation: April to November, every Monday & Thursday
- Professional English-speaking Trekking Hellas Guides (1 for 10 participants)
- Visits: Agricultural co-op, Winery, Folklore Museum
- Cooking lesson
Optional Hotel Pick Up / Drop Off:
- 10€ per person for a pick up from these areas: Kremasti, Paradeisi, Ialysos, Ixia, Rhodes Town, Kallithea, Faliraki, Afantou, Haraki, Lindos and any location in between the above mentioned areas. Please add transfer option when booking online.
- 15€ per person for a pick up from the areas: Pefkos, Kiotari, Gennadi. In order to book transfers from these areas, please contact us.
Meeting point: Apollona Village,Outside of Apolloniatisses Co-Op. Click here for our meeting point on the map.
Meeting time: 10.00 am
- Comfortable shoes
- Hat and sun block
- Your own personal water bottle. As part of our environmental policy and actions, we are committed to eliminating the use of plastic water bottles.
The tour starts from unspoiled mountainous village of Apollona nestled in the foothills of Profitis Ilias.
Stop for a quick tour of an agricultural co-op and learn how these proud, resourceful women run the enterprise. They will share their decisions, goals and a demonstration of local delicacy production with you.
From there, on foot, you will visit the folklore museum and discover what life was like for locals in the centuries past. Admire the traditional costumes, architecture and more as you learn how the people lived and worked as well as the industries of the time such as the inner workings of an olive factory.
You will also visit a winery and learn about the various grape varietals. While here, bring a glass of delicious wine to your lips and understand firsthand why Rhodes produces some of the world’s most award-winning wines.
The highlight of the tour will be a personal cooking class from a mama cook in the village who will share her secrets in making traditional, famous Greek fare including tzatziki, pitaroudia (vegetable fried balls) and ever-popular Greek salad. Learn how to make gemista (stuffed peppers with tomatoes and rice), dolmadakia and many more delights!
Conclude your time in Apollona enjoying the fruits of your culinary labors by sitting down to a homemade lunch that you and your fellow cooks have lovingly prepared.
10.00 Meeting in Apollona Village
10.00 – 10.20 Visit Agricultural co-op
10.20 – 10.30 Walk to winery
10.30 – 10.50 Wine Tasting
10.50 – 11.00 Walk to Cooking Lesson Location
11.00 – 12.00 Cooking Lesson
12.00 – 12.40 Lunch
12.40 – 13.00 Visit Folklore Museum