The region of Epirus boasts some of the most scenic mountain green nature in the country.
The Vikos Aoos National Park, in the area known as Zagori, is the ideal location for nature lovers.
The Zagori is one of the most picturesque regions of Greece with many authentic, stone villages and magnificent views of Pindos’ mountains, a real paradise for hiking nature enthusiasts.
The stunning peaks of Mt.Gamila and Astraka at altitudes above 2000m, the dragon lakes, invite you for demanding hiking amongst rare and countless varieties of flowers.
Vikos Gorge, listed as the deepest gorge in the world by the Guinness Book of Records, renowned for its natural beauty, crystal river pools in an unforgettable experience.
The Vikos Gorge, with walls of up to 1 km in height, is also a site of major scientific interest, because it is in almost virgin condition, is a haven for endangered species and contains many and varied ecosystems.
Period of Operation: May to October
Fixed Departure Dates: 18-25 MAY / 22-29 JUNE /17-24 AUGUST /21-29 SEPTEMBER/ 19-26 OCTOBER
Self Guided Mode:
- 820€/pp for 6-8 participants
- 900€/pp for 4-5 participants
- 1090€/pp for 2-3 participants
Fully Guided Mode:
- 1050€ for 6-8 participants
- 1240€/pp for 4-5 participants
- 1820€/pp for 2-3 participants
Basic physical condition and previous hiking experience recommended as we walk 5-7 hours daily. Children welcome depending on their previous hiking experience.
- Accommodation in double rooms on B/B basis in guesthouses (4 nights) and in berths while on shelters (2 nights).
- Trekking Hellas experienced guide in guided mode only.
- Meals as mentioned in the program (Breakfast at guesthouses or shelter / Picnic Lunches / Dinners in local taverns or shelter).
- Transfer from Ioannina to Monodendri.
- Transfer from Tsepelovo to Ioannina.
- Trekking activities as mentioned in the program.
- Luggage transfers both in guided and self guided mode.
Arrival in Ioannina airport and transfer to Vitsa village, Zagori. We rest in the traditional guesthouse and walk around the village.
O/N in a guesthouse https://vezitsa-zagori.com or similar.
We hike from Vitsa to Koukouli, Kipi, where we tour around the old bridges that connected the villages, years ago. The walk starts from Vitsa, down hilling the Vitsa Steps, in the heart of Vikos Gorge. We cross one of the famous arched bridges and start up hilling towards Koukouli. The village square calls for a refreshment!! The walk continues to Kipi, where we rest and see some more beautiful bridges, a real piece of art! Through dense forest we hike to Dilofo, a village protected as a monument of local architecture. We continue towards Vitsa and we walk towards Monodentri. Duration: 6-7 hours
O/N in a guesthouse http://www.zagoriphiloxenia.gr/en/ or similar.
We start to cross Vikos Gorge, a very impressive canyon and one of the deepest in the world! We will be transferred to Monodendri (2km), then we hike downhill, where we meet the small river that flows through the gorge. We continue next to the stream, and walk right into the heart of the National Park. In the gorge, a lot of wild animals, such as pray birds, wild boars and even bears find refuge! Our walk will end at Vikos village after a short ascent, around 40 minutes. We rest at Vikos village. Dinner / overnight.
Duration: 6-7 hours
We drive back to Vikos Village. Our walk will take us towards Mikro Papingo village. We start the tour, walking down to Voidomatis springs. After a short rest, we start hiking the north-west face of the Vikos Gorge, with direction to Mikro Papingo village. The views get more and more impressive as we hike uphill. The walk continues through the forest and under the impressive towers of Astraka. Soon, we will reach the village. A free evening can be enjoyed swimming by the natural pools of Rogovos near the village.
Duration: 4 hours
O/N in a guesthouse http://diaspapigo.gr/en/ or similar.
We hike from Papingo towards the high plateaus of Mt. Timfi, reaching an alpine lake at 2050m. The walk begins from Mikro Papingo village, one of the most beautiful and well preserved villages in Zagori and continues through beautiful and quiet alpine scenery towards Astraka’s mountain refuge. On the way up, we will meet a lot of water springs so there is no need to carry a lot of water. After a short stop at the refuge, we continue another 1 1/2 hours to the “Drakolimni”, an alpine lake at 2050m. The scenery is magnificent, as we have great views over Pindos mountain range and its peaks. We hike back to the refuge where we spend the night.
Duration: 6 hours
O/N in Astraka refuge http://www.astrakarefuge.com
A long day is ahead of us today, as we have to cross Timfi’s mountain range, a long but beautiful walk. Starting from the refuge, we downhill reaching the big plains of the mountain. Under the impressive cliffs of Astraka we continue towards the small water reservoir, named as Loutsa Robozi, used from shepherds to water the animals during summer months. The walk brings us at the beginning of Megas Lakos, an impressive canyon which ends at Vikos. As we cross a water spring, we continue to the lands of Tsepelovo village, which is our final destination.
Duration: 8 hours
O/N in a guesthouse http://kadi.gr or similar.
On our last day, we start walking from Tsepelovo towards Vradeto, the highest village in Zagori. We will walk on cobblestone paths (kalderimia) and enjoy stunning views of the Vikos gorge. We will visit Beloi, a natural balcony overlooking the Vikos gorge, as we walk towards the edges of the gorge, in Vradeto’s plateaus. We will then walk towards the village for short stop and hike down the impressive Vradeto steps, an old and historic path which takes us down to Kapesovo village. We drive to Elati, where we spend the night.
Duration: 7 hours
End of programme.
- Please try to travel as light as possible; remember that you must carry everything you bring on all the days’ walk.
- Large, comfortable rucksack (40 – 50 litres) with padded straps and waist belt, internal frame preferred; waterproof liner recommended keeping clothing, etc. dry inside.
- Sturdy, worn in trekking shoes.
- Good waterproof top with hood.
- Warm clothes, both for windy / cold daytime conditions and for the cool evenings (fleece tops or similar).
- Shorts and long trousers for walking, preferably quick-drying material (cotton or poly-cotton not denim).
- Sweatshirts or T-shirts for walking, at least one with long sleeves and collar (against sun-burn).
- Sheet sleeping bag or similar (e.g. duvet cover), for the overnights in the refuge, although blankets will be available.
- Sunglasses, towel, sun hat or cap, sun block.
- Water bottle.
- Wash bag and simple first aid kit (plasters or blister kit, aspirin or similar, antiseptic).
- Photographers: bring your cameras.
- Walking sticks.
May – October