Enjoy a fascinating hike in one of the most beautiful gorges of Europe.
Vikos Gorge is one of the most popular hiking destinations in Greece. The gorge consists of limestone and dolomite formations, dating back to 150 million years ago and vertical walls extending up to a height of 1700 meters. The gorge is part of the 12,600 hectare Vikos-Aoos National Park and has been listed in the Guinness book of records as the deepest canyon worldwide in proportion to its width.
Steep slopes and precipitous rocky cliffs dominate in the middle and higher zones respectively.
The gorge has been carved over millions of years by the Voidomatis River, a tributary of the Aoos.
- Hike the world’s deepest canyon
- A UNESCO Global Geopark
- Discover the beauty of Voidomatis springs
- Live an unforgettable experience
Period of operation: March to November (If you wish to participate during other months, please send us an enquiry)
Level of difficulty : Moderate
- 40€/pp for 4-6 participants
- 50€/pp for min 3 participants
- 65€/pp for min 2 participants (for less or more participants please contact us)
- Good physical condition
- Age from 12 years and above
- English speaking Trekking Hellas Guide
- All necessary local transfers for the operation of the activity
- Greek traditional picnic lunch
- Hiking poles
- Backpack / 4 participants
- Waterproof poncho jacket for the rainy days
March to November (If you wish to participate during other months, please send us an enquiry)
Meeting Point: Monodendri Village Central Square. Click here for our meeting point on the map.
Meeting Time: 09.00 am
- Small backpack with bottled water
- Comfortable clothes (preferably quick-drying material : cotton or polycotton not denim)
- Light hiking shoes or hiking boots
- Hat or beanie sunglasses sunblock
- Waterproof jacket / membrane (for the rainy days)
The hike starts from Monodendri village with a 45 minute descend until we reach the river bed. The trail is ascending and descending surrounded by steep mountain tops and dense forests of deciduous trees and 1800 plant species. Before ascending to Vikos village, we will visit Voidomati’s springs, Greece’s cleanest and coldest river, with an average all year temperature of 8,5°C. If you are brave you might want to try the experience of a very refreshing dive in the crystal clear waters during summer months! The hike finishes at Vikos village, after a 1 hour ascent from Voidomatis springs.
09:00 Meeting in Monodentri with your guide, welcome briefing
09:15 Trek commencement
12:30 Short break for traditional pic nic snack
15:00 Visit to Voidomatis springs for rest and pictures
16:00 Exit the gorge in Vikos village
16:15 Local transfer from Vikos back to Monodentri
17:00 Arrival in Monodentri, end of activity