Vikos Gorge Crossing! A fascinating hike in one of the most stunning gorges of Europe.
The Vikos Gorge is part of the 12,600 hectare Vikos-Aoos National Park and has been listed in the Guinness book of records as the deepest canyon worldwide in proportion to its width. It is definitely a spectacular sight! It is accessible from several points, including the gravity-defying cliff-face monastery of Agia Paraskevi at its southern end and the ridge-top village of Vikos at the other. The landscape of the 20 km long gorge is extremely diverse and is characterized by abrupt changes in altitude. The Vikos Gorge has been carved over millions of years by the Voidomatis River, a tributary of the Aoös River. As it splits the mountain in half, its slopes expose rock formations of limestone and dolomite, dating back to 150 million years . Its vertical cliffs rise up to a height of 1700 meters.
- Hike the world’s deepest canyon
- A UNESCO Global Geo park
- Discover the beauty of Voidomatis springs
- Live an unforgettable experience
Guaranteed Fixed Departures 2022:
- May: 21
- June: 18
- July: 16
- September: 24
- October: 22
Trekking Hellas offers an array of day or multi day tours in this beloved region. If you like to keep active, check out also our Dragon Lake Hike or Rafting Voidomatis! For travelers with special preferences or needs we also customize our tours! Feel free to contact us and we will create the perfect experience for you!
Period of operation: March to November (If you wish to participate during other months, please send us an inquiry)
Level of difficulty: Moderate
Price/person (Fixed Guaranteed Dates): 50€
- 45€/pp for 6+ participants
- 50€/pp for 4-5 participants
- 60€/pp for min 3 participants
- 80€/pp for min 2 participants (for less or more participants please contact us)
- Good physical condition
- Age from 12 years and above
- English speaking Trekking Hellas Guide
- All necessary local transfers for the operation of the activity
- Greek traditional picnic lunch
- Hiking poles
- Backpack / 4 participants
- Waterproof poncho jacket for the rainy days
March to November (If you wish to participate during other months, please send us an inquiry)
Meeting Point: Monodendri Village Central Square. Click here for our meeting point on the map.
Meeting Time: 09.00 am
- Small backpack
- Comfortable clothes (preferably quick-drying material: cotton or polycotton not denim)
- Light hiking shoes or hiking boots
- Hat or beanie sunglasses sunblock
- Waterproof jacket/membrane (for the rainy days)
- Your own personal water bottle. As part of our environmental policy and actions, we are committed to eliminating the use of plastic water bottles.
The hike starts from Monodendri village with a 45 minute descend until we reach the river bed. The trail is ascending and descending surrounded by steep mountain tops and dense forests of deciduous trees and 1800 plant species. Before ascending to Vikos village, we will visit Voidomati’s springs, Greece’s cleanest and coldest river, with an average all year temperature of 8,5°C. If you are brave you might want to try the experience of a very refreshing dive in the crystal clear waters during summer months! The hike finishes at Vikos village, after a 1-hour ascent from Voidomatis springs.
09:00 Meeting in Monodentri with your guide, welcome briefing
09:15 Trek commencement
12:30 Short break for a traditional picnic snack
15:00 Visit to Voidomatis springs for rest and pictures
16:00 Exit the gorge in Vikos village
16:15 Local transfer from Vikos back to Monodentri
17:00 Arrival in Monodentri, end of the activity